An under strength Sun Sports travelled to Ware to face Wodson Park Reserves in the Aubrey Cup first round tie on Saturday and faced a tougher match then they probably expected.

At Ware’s answer to the Olympic Stadium, Sun wore an unusual all red strip, with a tinge of white instead of the yellow, and with white rings around the sleeves, they looked somewhat like a throwback to a Bayern Munich side of the 80’s.

However, that was as far as the resemblance went as they faced a tough task against an in-form Wodson Park reserve side.

Josh Connolly was soon in the thick of it down the right side, and a cross into the six yard area was deflected by a Park defender, making the Wodson keeper flick a hand out to save the home side from going a goal down in the opening minutes.

Wodson responded well by firing a shot from outside the area which Luke Furlong did well to get down to.

After that the game fell into a spate of half chances for both sides but neither side could take advantage.

A through ball from Josh Connolly found fellow Josh (Towle) who seemed to be in an onside position but the ref blew for offside, which was a pity as Mr Towle finished well with a looped effort finding the back of the net.

From a Connolly corner, Ben Howell rose to head the ball over the bar and soon after Josh Squires-Adams beat a couple of Wodson defenders and cut inside to lay the ball to Josh Towle whose shot left the Park keeper flat footed but the ball went the wrong side of the post.

The second half started still with no goals from either side, and as the game continued it looked like only one goal would decide the tie, or else it was to go to dreaded penalties.

Sun fans thought that the deadlock was broken when another Josh Towle strike whizzed just past the post. Towle was certainly making some good chances for himself and well deserved his name on the scoresheet.

Another player for the Sun who played well was young Youssef Enajar, who certainly was willing to put himself about against senior opposition and provided the bite in midfield that was missing from the likes of the absent George Hobson and Andy Brennan.

Josh Connolly tried to get past his marker and promptly received an elbow in the face which was missed by the ref, however, Josh doth protest too much methinks, as the ref sent him off to cool down for ten minutes in the sin bin.

This was Wodson’s chance to capitalise on the extra man advantage, and they failed to do so, Sun also put on player-manager Sam Duff for the final 15 minutes.

But with around eight minutes remaining, the Sun scored the vital goal that was needed, a cross from the right by Paolo Deritis was headed down by Josh Squires-Adams to Youssef Enajar who smashed the ball into the net to send the travelling Sun fans into raptures.

Wodson pushed forward to desperately try to get an equaliser, and their best chance of the game came through a long range shot which Luke Furlong dived to his right to save and hold onto.

As the match went into injury time, Wodson appealed for a penalty for handball which was turned down by the referee, as the ref had a clear view that the Wodson Park shot hit Ben Howell whose arm was close to his body so there was no intent to handle.

The ref blew his whistle not long after the hands incident and the Sun wait to see who they will get in the next round of this famous Hertfordshire trophy.