It must be said that the Sun are making rather hard work of getting their three points in this season’s Herts County League Division One campaign.

A strong looking Sun side settled well eventually on the 3G pitch at Rowley Lane, but not before not knowing

  1. a) Where the opposition was
  2. b) What pitch they were due to play on
  3. c) Getting over the disappointment that they weren’t to play on the main pitch

Despite it being a strong team on paper, a lot of passing from the Sun went astray early in the game, especially in midfield, where Hampstead Heath Lions (nothing at all to do with London Lions – whose grounds they share – purely coincidence, apparently) were happy to “pounce” on the loose balls and cause the Sun defence a few problems.

The first chance fell to the home side but Luke Furlong pulled off a great save.

The game seemed evenly matched but it looked like Watford’s finest would get a helping hand when the referee gave a penalty for a silly Lions challenge in the area.

Up stepped Ashley Lewis to take the kick and although he hit the ball hard and low the Lions keeper chose the right way to dive and like a “cat” clawed the ball away.

Lewis was involved again soon after when he floated in a peach of a cross finding Paolo Deritis unmarked on the right whose downward header was saved by the Lions goalie on the up-bounce.

But the Lions showed their teeth by shocking the Sun and going a goal up halfway through the half when a cross sneaked through the Sun back line and was tapped in by a grateful forward to give the home side the lead.

As quite often this season, the Sun like to give their opposition a goal or two advantage before waking up and putting the game to bed, and this match was no different.

As the first half came to a close George Hobson laid the ball back to Ashley Lewis from an in-direct free kick in the penalty area and his shot went through the ineffective wall and into the net for an equaliser.

Minutes later and Ashley had two goals to his name when he managed to get to the ball first during a goal line scramble to tap the ball over the line to give the Sun a half time lead.

In the second half Hampstead looked dangerous and capable of equalising, but the Sun gave themselves a cushion thanks to George Hobson scoring direct from a corner…again!!

This is the third time that George has managed this remarkable achievement already this season, and with all three goals being captured on video, with any luck they may be seen on Soccer AM soon!

So three-one up and now fully in control, the Sun decided to finally put the Lions to sleep, and Ashley Lewis lashed in two great goals to get not only his hat trick, but a fourth goal of the game for himself to boot.

But after the Sun’s fourth, Lions pulled a goal back through a handball in the area which the Lions player successfully converted.

Sun’s fifth goal though must be attributed to youngster Josh Connolly after some fantastical fancy footwork near the corner flag to bamboozle the Lions defender, and then sending a fine low cross into the area for Ashley to get hold of.

It was also nice to see welcome returns for Karl Penny and Joe Horwood, who both came off the bench later in the second half.

Sun Sports move up to third place in the league, but will face a tough test against Hadley Reserves next week at Aldenham Road.