A depleted Sun Sports team travelled to Holmer Green on Thursday night and failed to light the night up in the Buckinghamshire country sky.

It all started off well when from the kick off the Sun went on the attack and gained a corner in the first few seconds, but then Holmer reciprocated with only 6 minutes gone, Anthony Tyson won the ball on the edge of Sun’s penalty area. He fed Tom Gant, whose fierce shot was too much for Matty Evans to deal with and Ben Hodges followed up alertly to put the ball into the goal.

The boys in red, wearing their away kit for the occasion, attempted to get back into the game with George Hobson whipping in some dangerous free kicks, corners and crosses but no one in the middle was able to get onto any of them.

Green played the Sun at their own game by keeping the ball on the ground and were certainly adept at knocking the ball about in crisp movements, Kerran Lataille had the first shot at the Holmer Green goal although by the time it reached the keeper it weakly bobbled into his hands.

Tom Gibson came even closer a few minutes later when he latched onto a Ryan McMahon chip into the box and although he managed to beat the defender and the Green keeper unfortunately he didn’t beat the post as the ball hit the woodwork and went away for a goal kick.

On 36 minutes a Curtis Stone free-kick found its way to Tyson, but his two attempts were well blocked, the ball fell kindly to Joe Collins who swept the loose ball towards the goal from the edge of the area, but it faded just wide of Matty’s left post.

On 44 minutes another Stone set-piece found Collins at the far post, the downward header was seized on by Gant with a simple finish to put Holmer Green two up at half time.

With the way things were going it looked like the game was up already, but Sun are never a team to just give up, especially when are 45 minutes of a match still to play!

Jack Johnson was soon free of his marker early in the second half and with only the Green goalie to beat he ballooned the ball over the bar, this was followed soon after by a trademark George Hobson long range shot which was covered by the Holmer keeper Sam Butcher.

Butcher was called into action soon after and had a couple of cases of the wobbles on a couple of occasions where he dropped the ball when high balls were pumped into the box.

Andy Brennan had a chance with a direct free kick but Butcher had it covered, and Kerran Lataille had the next opportunity but the keeper for the Green’s got down well.

Matty Evans, not to be outdone by Sam Butcher’s achievements, was a saviour for the Sun with a couple of saves with his feet when Holmer came to attack on the counter.

The frustration got too much for Tom Gibson, who after receiving a yellow card for a foul promptly got a red card to go with it when his manic laughter made the referee feel that he was being victimised for his decision!

Airedale Park is certainly not a happy hunting ground for the Sun and although we can say that there were seven main players missing, the fact is that the players who came in should have tried to show that they were worthy of a first team place…which they failed to do.